Saturday, January 23, 2010

Obsessed

I started reknitting Twisted Hourglass while waiting for my Sock Wars target Kate to send me her socks-in-progress. Until my assassin kills me, I am still in the game. However, until I receive Kate's socks to finish them (and kill the person who had been her target), I can work on something for myself.

Last year, I'd started Twisted Hourglass in a beautiful blue tencel yarn that, while gorgeous, did not have enough stretch. Once I turned the heel, I was no longer able to get the sock over my heel. Very sad. I set the project aside to be frogged. But the pattern is so beautiful, I really wanted to finish it. And so now, using yarn that I'd bought to make Dan a pair of socks with, I am starting the pattern over again.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Had been feeling relatively well, proud of making it through the holidays without a complete meltdown. Now, though, I'm unable to function properly at anything but knitting. Reading about knitting, thinking about knitting, actually knitting...it's the only thing that I want to do. I put away half my Christmas decorations, couldn't find the boxes for my Santa plates, and so left them up. When I see them, I get a sense of panic...why can't I put them away? Why can't I look harder for the box in which their boxes are stored? And then I retreat back to the bark-o-lounger to knit.

The stitches slip off the needles, one after the other, producing something beautiful. Knitting is the only thing holding me together.

1 comment:

  1. You made those socks lovely! I'm sorry I knit so loosely, I can't help it. Even when I try to knit tighter I knit loosely. It kills my gauge sometimes, it's really tough when I'm following a pattern.

    ReplyDelete